Clinical & Informatics Educator Job Opening
Clinical & Informatics Educator
Kaiser Permanente• Martinez, California
Category: Health Educator
- Provides educational opportunities that benefit nurses at all stages of their career development. Assists learners in the assessment of needs and identification of outcomes. Incorporates principles of adult learning in implementation of education programs. Identifies and evaluates high quality, culturally diverse instructional materials in all types of media and formats. Adjusts content and teaching strategies to meet learner needs. Provides ongoing assessment of individual performance in clinical and KPHC proficiencies for PCS staff and management and reports to Director of Clinical Education, Practice, and Informatics. Identifies individuals who do not meet established competency expectations and recommends a formal action plan to PCS Management.
- Develops, designs, evaluates, and manages professional development programs based on principles of adult learning that foster the development of competence in the nursing staff. Conducts ongoing evaluation of the quality and effectiveness of educational activities to ensure they maintain and enhance professional development and promote the delivery of cost-effective high quality healthcare. Develops/coordinates education plans related to orientation of new staff to the organization, initial and ongoing competency validation, core education to address patient population specific nursing care, and core education for the development of beside leaders.
- Responds to changes in nursing practice / nursing theory and develops programs to support those changes. Conducts research into professional and community practice standards, technology, clinical informatics, and clinical innovations for improved patient care.
- Ensures that KPHC is leveraged for the benefit of nursing practice and improved excellence in patient care systems and processes. Assesses opportunities to support clinical practices through the use of KPHC by analyzing clinical workflow to determine current practices and facilitating the improvement of specific nursing practices and processes.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of trends and advances in the field of Nursing and Healthcare Informatics, as well as new developments in hardware and software technology. Maintains up-to-date knowledge of nursing practices, regulatory standards, and organizational priorities. Consults staff and leadership in areas of clinical expertise (e.g. workflow and clinical use recommendations), provides information on current clinical practice, and addresses clinical questions. Ensures optimization efforts are identified and implemented to support clinical decision making that supports high quality and safe patient care.
- Participates in interdisciplinary committees to integrate educational activities into clinical care and clinical informatics / appropriate use of KPHC into educational activities and clinical care. Addresses KPHC and workflow issues through Regional Domains, local Domains and Cross Functional Domain. Provides leadership for clinical IT enhancements.
- Provides investigation, recommendation, prioritization and evaluation of clinical risk, and correction plans for arising concerns and issues as a result of KPHC and clinical education. Monitors, tracks, and follows up on such concerns / issues. Escalates any patient safety issues identified with workflow disruptions. Assures education, programs, and classes meet budget guidelines.
- Maintains flexibility when managing multiple roles and responsibilities. Interprets and communicates across multiple disciplines. Promotes a safe and healthy work environment.
- Kaiser Permanente conducts compensation reviews of positions on a routine basis. At any time, Kaiser Permanente reserves the right to reevaluate and change job descriptions, or to change such positions from salaried to hourly pay status. Such changes are generally implemented only after notice is given to affected employees.
Promotes professional development through the application of principles of adult learning in broad-based program development. Leveraging expertise in Kaiser Permanente's electronic medical record, KP HealthConnect (KPHC), responsible for identifying, prioritizing, and evaluating, the educational and professional development needs of a clinical area; develops and delivers clinical educational programs, including specialty training, new graduate/hire training, continuing education for staff, and training for upgrades and changes to KPHC. Coordinates nursing competence & professional development programs for Patient Care Service Area for an assigned/defined clinical area. Conducts ongoing assessments of proficiencies for PCS staff and management and provide feedback and formal action plans management. Serves as the KPHC expert and applies this knowledge into clinical and operational workflows.
Program and Curriculum Development / Evaluation
Clinical practice standards
Clinical informatics expert
Clinical practice and Informatics interface
Partnerships / Leadership Duties
- Reporting to the Site Director of Home Health , this position will support the clinical proficieny and ongoing education of the field clinicians by conducting group inservices, competencies, performing one on one clinican support when in the field as well as in the office.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience coordinating or managing education program /curriculum design, development and evaluation/assessment, including two (2) years in staff professional development and/or clinical training/teaching.
- BSN or bachelor's degree in health care or related field required, OR four (4) years of experience in a directly related field.
- Graduate of accredited school of nursing
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
- Current California RN license required
- BLS certificate required
- Knowledge of Nurse Practice Act, federal, state, and local requirements.
- Demonstrated knowledge in KP HealthConnect including functionality and expertise in workflows (or for external hires, similarly integrated medical record).
- Demonstrated knowledge of medical center policy and procedure requirements, specialty training and competency requirements.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge in performance improvement practices preferred
- Master's degree in nursing, education, or other closely related field preferred.
- Computer skills preferred for documentation support to accurately capture clinical care in EMR.
- Home Care experience preferred.
- Nursing skill experience preferred in specialty areas: Wound Care, Infusion, Vent/Trach, Peds
License, Certification, Registration
PrimaryLocation : California,Martinez,Martinez Hacienda Home Health/PT 200 Muir Rd.
HoursPerWeek : 40
Shift : Day
Workdays : Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri
WorkingHoursStart : 8:00 AM
WorkingHoursEnd : 5:00 PM
Job Schedule : Full-time
Job Type : Standard
Employee Status : Regular
Employee Group/Union Affiliation : Non-Union, Non-Exempt
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Job Category : Nursing Licensed
Department : Home Health
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.