Restaurant Manager Job Opening
Turtle Bay Resort• Kahuku, Hawaii
Benchmark’s company culture is central to our management philosophy. The company’s stated purpose is “to provide an entrepreneurial environment where determined people dare to create, share, and build futures.
To be the “benchmark” by which all others are judged takes passion, courage, and dedication. We invite you to explore our extraordinary offering of unique opportunities, all with a common goal of providing an unforgettable journey.
Job Description Summary:Responsible for the management of all aspects of the Palm Terrace Restaurant functions, in accordance with hotel standards. Directs, implements and maintains a service and management philosophy, which serves as a guide to respective staff.
Responsible for the management of all aspects of the Palm Terrace Restaurant functions, in accordance with hotel standards. Directs, implements and maintains a service and management philosophy, which serves as a guide to respective staff.
REPORTS TO: F&B Director
SUPERVISES: Servers, Back Servers, Host(ess) Assistant Manages, Supervisors.
Palm Terrace Restaurant, Kitchen/Stewarding areas.
Job involves working:
- under variable temperature conditions (or extreme heat or cold).
- under variable noise levels.
- around fumes and/or odor hazards.
- around dust and/or mite hazards.
- around chemicals.
Internal: Employees in the Palm Terrace Restaurant, F& B Outlets Culinary - Stewarding/Kitchen, Catering & Conference Services, F&B Services and Managers, Guest Services - Front Desk, Finance, Housekeeping, Administrative Offices and Property Operations.
External: Hotel guests/visitors and suppliers.
High school graduate or vocational training certificate, some college. Minimum 21 years of age to serve alcoholic beverages. 3-5 years experience as a Manager, Assistant Restaurant Manager/ Supervisor, preferably an upscale restaurant. Food handling certification. Computer knowledge including Word and Excel. Knowledge of various food service styles. Fluency in English both verbally and non-verbally. Provide legible communication and direction. Compute basic arithmetic. Familiarity with food and beverage cost controls.
- enforce Hotel standards, policies and procedures with Restaurant staff.
- prioritize and organize work assignments, delegate work.
- direct performance of Restaurant staff and follow up with corrections where needed.
- coach and motivate Restaurant staff and maintain a cohesive team.
- ascertain Restaurant training needs and provide such training.
- be a clear thinker, analyze and resolve problems exercising good judgement.
- suggestively sell menu items, beverages and wines.
- input and access information into P.O.S. system.
- work without direct supervision, maintaining a clear direction, focusing on departmental goals.
- strong organizational skills excellent communication skills, using a professional vocabulary.
- ability to resolve guest complaints completely.
- maintain essential equipment and inventory.
College degree. Previous guest relations training. Previous Culinary training. Certification of previous training in liquor, wine and food service. Training in CPR. Certification of previous training in an alcohol awareness program.
1. Exert physical effort in transporting 50 pounds.
2. Endure various physical movements throughout the work areas.
3. Reach 1 foot above arm length.
4. Remain in up right position for 8 hours throughout work shift.
5. Satisfactorily communicate with guests, management and co-workers to their understanding.
6. Able to maintain professional posture throughout the shift.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Maintain complete knowledge of and comply with all departmental policies/service procedures/standards, sequence of service, 4 Diamond standards.
- Maintain complete knowledge of correct maintenance and use of equipment. Use equipment only as intended.
- Maintain physical atmosphere and cleanliness of restaurant.
- Anticipate guests’ needs, respond promptly and acknowledge all guests, however busy and whatever time of day.
- Maintain positive guest relations at all times.
- Resolve guest complaints, ensuring complete guest satisfaction, with a sense of urgency.
- Be familiar with all hotel services/features and local attractions/activities to respond to guest inquires accurately.
- Monitor and maintain cleanliness, sanitation and organization of assigned work areas.
- Maintain complete knowledge of: all liquor brands, beers and non alcoholic selections available in the Restaurant. the particular characteristics and description of every wine/champagne by the glass and major wines on the wine list. designated glassware and garnishes for drinks. all menu items, preparation method/time, ingredients, sauces, portion size, garnishes, presentation and prices. daily menu specials, 86’d items. dining room layout, table/seat/station numbers, proper table set-ups, room capacity, hours of operation, price range and dress code. P.O.S. and manual system procedures. daily housecount, arrivals/departures, V.I.P.’s. scheduled in-house group activities, locations and times. and strictly abide by state liquor regulations, particularly those prohibiting service to minors, intoxicated persons and drunk driving.
- Establish par levels for supplies and equipment. Complete requisitions to replenish shortages or additional items needed for the anticipated business.
- Requisition linens/skirting required for business and assign staff to transport such to the Restaurant.
- Meet with the Chef to review daily specials and 86'd items; update board throughout shift and ensure that staff are aware of such.
- Periodically check with the Front Desk to review updates on housecount and arrivals.
- Review sales for previous day; resolve discrepancies with Accounting. Track revenue against budget.
- Prepare weekly work schedules in accordance with staffing guidelines, the union contract, and labor forecasts. Adjust schedules throughout the week to meet the business demands.
- Ensure that staff report to work as scheduled. Document any late or absent employees.
- Coordinate breaks for staff.
- Assign work and side duties to staff . Communicate additions or changes to the assignments as they arise throughout the shift. Identify situations which compromise the department's standards and delegate these tasks.
- Monitor the preparation of station assignments.
- Conduct pre-shift meeting with staff and review all information pertinent to the day's business.
- Inspect grooming and attire of staff; rectify any deficiencies.
- Inspect, plan and ensure that all materials and equipment are in complete readiness for service; rectify deficiencies with respective personnel.
- Constantly monitor staff performance in all phases of service and job functions; rectify any deficiencies with respective personnel.
- Inspect table set-ups; check for cleanliness, and neatness; rectify deficiencies with respective personnel.
- Ensure that the Host(ess) stand is clean, organized and stocked with designated supplies.
- Review the reservation book, pre-assign designated tables and follow up on all special requests.
- Ensure that specified amount of menus and wine lists are available and in good condition for each meal period.
- Ensure that daily specials are inserted into each menu.
- Check the pick-up station and side stations.
- Monitor and assist Host(ess) in greeting and escorting guests to their tables.
- Ensure that tables are seated to best service the guests.
- Assist in seating guests as needed.
- Anticipate heavy business times and organize procedures to handle extended waiting lines.
- Monitor guest reactions and confer frequently with service staff to ensure guest satisfaction.
- Check the status of all orders and ensure that they are delivered within designated timelines.
- Monitor and ensure that all tables are cleared and reset according to department procedures.
- Monitor and maintain cleanliness and working condition of departmental equipment, supplies and work areas.
- Monitor neatness, supplies of daily buffet, alert kitchen before group arrival.
- Assist restaurant staff with their job functions to ensure optimum service to guests.
- Answer the restaruant phone within 3 rings. Access all functions of the P.O.S. system.
- Restock journal tape and change ribbons as needed.
- Handle voided checks.
- Assist servers with expediting problem payments.
- Issue manual checks when the system is down and ensure accountability of such.
- Run system closing reports and ensure that all servers' checks are closed before they sign out.
- Ensure all closing duties for staff are completed before staff sign out.
- Conduct a 1 week formal training program on the required job functions with criterion expected and department orientation with new hires.
- Conduct ongoing training with existing staff.
- Provide feedback to staff on their performance.
- Handle disciplinary problems and counsel employees according to hotel standards.
- Foster and promote a cooperative working climate, maximizing productivity and employee morale.
- Respond to all pages by beeper, and also emails promptly doing staff edits when necessary, submitting payroll punctually and correctly.
- Prepare and submit daily/weekly payroll and tip distribution records.
- Complete work orders for maintenance repairs and submit to Engineering.
- Contact Engineering directly for urgent repairs.
- Document pertinent information in department log book and communication book.
- Complete all paperwork and closing duties in accordance with departmental standards.
- Review status of assignments and any follow-up action with on-coming supervisor
- Supervise floor during service, achieve 100% table visits.
- Maintain up to date employee bulletin boards
- Display recognition for regulars, repeat guests, VIPs Inspect what you expect or you lose respect
- Hold pre-meal meetings in a timely and efficient manner ensuring all staff are accountable for showing up on time and conducting the pre-shift so all pertient information is shared and understood
- Serve our guests.
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS
Complete and direct scheduled inventories. Prepare weekly/monthly forecast of revenues, covers and labor costs. Conduct monthly departmental meetings. Attend designated meetings, menu and wine tastings. Interview restaurant applicants. Relieve Host(ess). Expedite on floor or in kitchen as business demands. Complete departmental filing. Update P.O.S. menu changes. Order restaurant flowers from approved supplier. Order morning newspapers for the restaurant from approved supplier.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent will possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves, other employees or guests.
A review of this description has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and requirements are essential job functions.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor/managers/directors.
Note: This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the team member occupying this position. Team members will be required to perform any other job related duties assigned to help all team members and contribute to the success of the Resort. This description is intended to indicate the typical kinds of tasks and levels of difficulty that are required of positions given this title. This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct and control the work of employees under his/her supervision.