Public Health Community Health Education Coordinator Job Opening
Public Health Community Health Education Coordinator
Rock County, WI• Janesville, Wisconsin
This is professional work in the field of public health education. The purpose of this position is to promote population health by leading community health promotion initiatives. The work involves providing specialized support to specific public health programs by developing health education materials, systematic approaches for their delivery, and evaluations of their effectiveness.
It also includes developing and implementing community health assessments and planning in collaboration with other department staff, other County Departments, community stakeholders, elected officials, and community members. This position seeks out revenue sources and conducts frequent and ongoing grant applications. Supervises Community Health Education programming and staff.
Work is typically focused on specific program objectives directed by improving the level of health knowledge thereby improving health behaviors and improving local public health services.
Lead Community health promotion initiatives
1. Use community health planning expertise to successfully complete the community assessment and planning process, set community health improvement goals/objectives/strategies, identify public policy and action options, develop programs based on evidence, and create monitoring and evaluation plans.
2. Lead the design and application of community health improvement strategies with community partners, members, and stakeholders.
3. Perform data analysis and present findings to community groups, stakeholders, and other professionals.
4. Conduct comprehensive reviews of evidence-related community health assessment and planning, and develop and maintain resources related to new and emerging methods.
Assist in developing and/or designing of materials and programs to support specific public health program goals and objectives
1. Develop public health educational materials, systemic approaches for their delivery, and evaluation of their effectiveness.
2. Provide support in the development, implementation, and evaluation of specific educational programs and materials to meet identified needs in the community.
3. Develop and deliver targeted, culturally appropriate health promotion and disease prevention materials, curriculum, and awareness campaigns.
4. Identify "Community Champions" and develop and foster working relationships.
5. Lead the development and preparation of proposals for funding from external sources for health promotion and disease prevention initiatives and programs.
Public health communications.
1. Prepare and assist in preparation of department's communication and publications including media interviews, press releases, reports, website content, and updates.
2. Assist in the preparation of annual and other reports.
Supervise Community Health Education Programming and staff
1. Coordinate, guide, and supervise Community Health Education work assignments and ensure all projects are completed in a timely manner.
2. Conduct train-the-trainer sessions and identify/provide learning opportunities for other Departmental staff.
3. Conduct ongoing and annual health education staff evaluations.
Performs other duties as assigned
- Proficiency in Microsoft programs including Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.
- Working knowledge of public health theory, human psychology, social sciences, behavior change theory social marketing theory, and principals of health education and promotion, including adult education methodology
- Working knowledge of community health planning
- Knowledge of community organization and resources
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent creative and technical writing skills
- Ability to exercise leadership
- Ability to work independently and interdependently
- Ability to collect, organize and analyze data, as well as to identify significance of findings and effectively report findings and recommendations
- Ability to conduct effective meetings and facilitate group process
- Ability to plan, conduct and evaluate effective education, training and marketing programs
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize, implement and evaluate work
- Ability to work effectively with multidisciplinary personnel, health agencies, community organizations and coalitions, communities, families and individuals
- Ability to use the computer and a variety of software programs effectively
- Ability to work effectively with people of different ages, cultures, readiness to learn, and learning styles
- Bachelors degree in health education/communication or a closely related field from an accredited college or university. Masters in Public Health preferred.
- Three years work experience in community health preferred.
- Three years work experience promoting/marketing population healthy behaviors
- Experience in analyzing and assessing community health needs and data.
- Valid driver's license
- Motor vehicle in working order
- Community Health Education Specialist certification preferred.
- Bi-lingual (Spanish) preferred.
- Maintain prompt and regular attendance.
- Work involves walking, sitting, standing, bending, twisting, turning, carrying, pushing, pulling, grasping, reaching and driving.
- Lifting and carrying up to 25 pounds is not uncommon.
- Work hours may include some evenings and/or weekends to accommodate community events
- Work related to public health emergencies may require availability 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Working conditions may vary in relation to cold, heat, fatigue, etc.