Group Exercise Instructor/Personal Trainer Job Opening
Group Exercise Instructor/Personal Trainer
Legacy YMCA• Bessemer, Alabama
The YMCA focus is to strengthen communities through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
Instructs group classes in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that promotes member wellness and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. We are specifically looking for instructors skilled in various group exercise disciplines to include POUND, Aquaerobics, Spin & others. Provides a quality experience to members and guests focused on YMCA core values: honesty, respect, responsibility, and caring.
- Leads energizing, fun, safe, and educational group classes, as directed by the supervisor, to accomplish the YMCA mission and goals. Must be skilled/certified in various group exercise disciplines.
- Answers questions from members to support them in achieving their goals related to healthy living. Maintains working knowledge of wellness and trends to provide effective information and support to members.
- Builds effective, authentic relationships with members; helps members connect with each other and the YMCA.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures; responds to emergency situations.
- Attends all staff meetings and required training programs.
- Other duties and responsibilities assigned by supervisor.
Cause-Driven Leadership® Competencies
- Community: Makes member and community needs priority and does everything in his/her power to engage and partner with members and community to exceed expectations.
- Volunteerism: Advances the legacy of volunteer engagement and leadership.
- Philanthropy: Values and supports the many facets of philanthropy as an essential component on achieving the Y’s mission.
- Inclusion: Values all people for their unique talents and takes an active role in promoting practices that support diversity, including and cultural competence.
- Relationships: Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y’s work.
- Influence: Employs influence strategies that engage, inspire, and build commitment to position and achieve the overall Y goals.
- Communication: Listens and expresses ideas effectively and in a manner that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience.
- Functional Expertise: Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
- Emotional Maturity: Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills.
- Commitment to Quality Results: Demonstrates and fosters a strong commitment to achieving goals in a manner that provides quality experiences
- Developing Others: Recognizes and acts on the need to continually develop others’ capabilities to attain the highest level of performance possible.
- National certification (ACE AFAA, ACSM, NETA) in group fitness instruction or YMCA Foundations of Group Exercise certification.
- Certification in areas of expertise.
- At least one year of experience teaching group wellness classes preferred.
- Successful completion of background screening.
- Acquire and maintain the following certifications prior to start date via YMCA, American Red Cross, American Heart Association and American Health and Safety Institute (ASHI):
- First Aid/CPR /AED (valid 2 years unless otherwise noted)
- Ability to conduct classes and activities.
- Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position; including leading class, walking, standing, bending, reaching, squatting and lifting.
- Ability to take the responsibility for the health and safety of others.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $10.00 to $11.00 /hour
- First Aid (Preferred)
- CPR (Preferred)
- One location
Hours per week:
Overtime often available: