Substance Abuse Counselor Trainee Job Opening
Substance Abuse Counselor Trainee
County of Contra Costa, California• Martinez, California
- Learns to interview applicants to determine appropriateness for program services
- Learns to conduct intake assessments to determine client problems and appropriate course of action
- Orients clients on program requirements
- Assists in substance abuse counseling to individuals, families and groups
- Learns to conduct group education programs
- Assists with crisis intervention, counseling and referral
- May be assigned night custodial duties at a residential facility
- May oversee client medication allocation
- Represents the division to the community through outreach activities and educational programs
- Maintains client case records and performs client charting
- Participates in meetings, committees and training sessions
- Prepares reports for other agencies as required
- Learns to monitor client files and conducts monthly audits of active and inactive client files
- Learns to monitor ongoing treatment and develops aftercare plans and client follow-up
- May provide clients with emergency transportation
- Provides and promotes excellent customer service for all internal and external customers
License Required: Possession of a valid California Motor Vehicle Operator's License. Out of state valid motor vehicle operator's license will be accepted during the application process.
Possession of a registration to obtain certification as an Alcohol and Other Drug (AOD) Counselor issued by one of the certifying agencies approved by the State of California.
Education: Successful completion of 30 semester or 45 quarter units from an accredited college or university which included at least 12 semester or 15 quarter units in psychology, sociology, counseling, or chemical dependency.
Experience: Six (6) months of full-time, or its equivalent experience, counseling persons affected by alcohol or drug abuse.
Other Requirements: A background investigation/fingerprint and/or physical exam may be required prior to the start of employment.
A COMPLETED SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE IS REQUIRED. AN APPLICATION SUBMITTED WITHOUT THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE AND CERTIFICATES WILL BE CONSIDERED INCOMPLETE AND WILL THEREFORE BE DISQUALIFIED.